Sunday, August 29, 2010

And I'd like to take advantage of a flock of wild birds.

It’s Sunday night and I’ve officially finished settling into my new apartment. Today my roommates Emily, Heather and Lindsay and myself went through the house, cleaned out the kitchen and the kitchenette in the house making room for new food and hodgepodge. We're all pretty green people (Emily is even an ECO-Rep for UVM) and I'm glad about that. We recycle, return bottles and cans, and even have a compost on the back porch. Once I have time and completely finish setting up my new room, which is the attic of the house, I’ll post some pictures.

Last night we had company over for a potluck sort of shindig. We made jungle juice for the occasion and I made my specialty, hummus. If you know me, you know I make a mean hummus. This kind was roasted red pepper and roasted garlic and it was delectable. All the folks were residents of the Green House here at UVM and friends of Emily and Heather. They were really some genuinely awesome people. Some made pasta, others brought fruit, veggies, chips, a kickass batch of cupcakes and later in the night a savory flatbread. It was a tremendous effort by all that resulted in a great time.

Classes begin tomorrow morning, and I’m super excited for my course load. I’m taking Intermediate German, Ancient to Medieval Art History, the Fund of Social Research, Globalization, and the Social Organization of Death and Dying, which I am very keyed up to take. I’m also glad that I’ll be able to see my friends all the time. The most difficult part for me right now is transitioning back into the swing of school. This summer has been very laid back and it hasn’t hit me yet that school is back in session. Once it does though, I’ll be ready. A day of classes will help. I haven’t really had time the past few weeks to catch up on my book reading. It was good while it lasted. I did pick up The Nimrod Flipout from the UVM library before I went home last weekend and started it, but I never got to finish it.

Speaking of going home, I got to see my friends Nick and Marissa. Nick, after taking a year off, is going back to the University of Rochester. Marissa just left for France yesterday to study at Sciences Po in Paris to the next year. I spoke with her today and she seems to be having a great time already. While home I went to the doctor to get my stomach checked out. They said that it is most likely excess acid building up in my stomach, which is causing my problems. For the next month I can’t eat spicy, salty, greasy, sugary, citrusy or other foods of that nature and take Prilosec every night before bed. This will be a tough month; I'm a spice man.

I need to get to bed early so I can wake up early tomorrow ready and energetic for classes. I have German and Art History starting at 10:40. Wish me luck!

Oh, and if you’re interested in some reading material right now, read this article about this new bill being brought to the Senate. Prepare to be appalled.

[Link]

No comments:

Post a Comment